A financial plan is not a one-time event. It’s an ongoing process.
Most financial planners broadly help “individuals and families.” By contrast, I founded BYH to specifically and intentionally serve a particular type of client better than any other wealth management firm in Boston. Our team and our specialized processes are designed to help professionals in their 30s and 40s with actionable strategies.
We develop plans and systems that allow you to achieve the goal of living well today while still planning responsibly for tomorrow. BYH is a different kind of wealth management for motivated, self-made professionals who want their money working as hard for them as they worked to earn it.
WEALTH MANAGEMENT & FINANCIAL COACHING, CATERED TO YOU
The right wealth management, financial planning, and professional guidance and coaching is an opportunity to invest in your life. It gives you a process for using your money wisely to get what you actually want, now and in the future. Just like a personal trainer designs the proper program for your specific fitness needs and holds you accountable to staying focused on your goals, BYH does the same for your financial life.
We're here to empower you to make smarter, more informed decisions now that can produce dramatic results in the future.
GO ON OFFENSE & GET PROACTIVE
- Set up a system for spending and saving that allows you to enjoy more of what you want in life now, without jeopardizing your future financial security
- Understand the true costs and benefits of each choice when you reach critical inflection points in life — like when you're looking at a career change, starting a business, beginning a family, buying a home, or working toward financial freedom
- Plan for opportunities and mitigate risks along the way, all while keeping your goals and values in mind so your financial strategy reflects what matters most to you
INVEST STRATEGICALLY & GROW WEALTH
- Ensure you fully understand where every single dollar is best allocated in order to reach your goals
- Build tax-efficient strategies and plan appropriately around taxable events that could be triggered by equity compensation grants or sales
- Properly manage risk, asset allocation, and portfolio diversity in the context of your needs and what you hope to accomplish
- Get the education you need to feel confident about and comfortable with your investment strategy
- Determine the priority order of your goals (after helping you understand what's most important) and create clarity around the best next steps to take with your money
- Evaluate the tax ramifications of non-qualified retirement and executive compensation plans to determine the best course of action that could significantly reduce your tax bill
- Have an objective conversation around your actual insurance needs (BYH does not sell insurance and is fee-only, meaning we never receive commissions or kickbacks)
Some of the value we provide is more intangible than the list of deliverables above. The smart financial decisions you make today (and the not-so-smart decisions you avoid) create a compound effect over the long-term: the more you do correctly today, the greater your level of success is likely to be in the future. The small adjustments we can show you how to make today, and our advice to help you optimize your financial life, can add hundreds of thousands of dollars to your net worth over your lifetime.
Does Your Advisor Relate to What's Important to You?
Beyond Your Hammock is unique among fee-only financial planners in Boston because we are the kind of people we serve.
BYH is comprised of a small team of motivated, self-made professionals with big ambitions, goals, and dreams that we're determined to make reality — just like every single one of the clients we help. We deeply understand the kinds of values our clients have, and can relate to the outcomes they want most in life (like financial freedom, ability to travel more, increased autonomy to spend time and energy the way you want) because we share a similar vision.
Have you ever talked with a financial advisor and felt judged for what you said was important, or what you valued? Did they try to convince you that you needed different goals? Did they just smile and nod, and obviously had no clue what you were talking about when you shared your unique dream that you needed professional advice for in order to accomplish it?
We know how most conversations with other advisors go; they want to spend a few hours with you, create a giant stack of documents from a cookie cutter template, toss them your way and send you out the door. They don't take the time to listen to what you want. They don't focus on your goals. And they probably won't give you much advice other than, "max out your retirement account and come back when you're about to retire. Then we'll talk."
At BYH, our primary objective is to provide planning, advice, guidance, and coaching to help you make your financial decisions with greater confidence and satisfaction. We're not here to tell you what you should do (or to say since you're in your 30s or 40s, all you need to do is save for retirement and worry about the rest later... because there is a lot of life to live between now and then!).
When we work together, we discuss:
- All the angles to consider for your situation
- Each path that's available for you to take
- The pros and cons of all your options, and how each decision you might make could impact your wealth and overall financial life
- How to think about your choices in a way that helps you make a decision that's right for you
There are plenty of quality CFPs at fee-only financial planning firms out there, but very few who specialize in helping clients like you, with skills to develop specific financial frameworks that actually apply to the kind of life you want to live. There are even fewer who deeply understand the opportunities, challenges, needs, and goals you have. BYH is a unique place specifically designed to provide wealth management to those who are ready to use their money as a tool to live life well today, while still planning responsibly for tomorrow.
Get tangible benefits from the Financially Sound program:
- 2-3 financial planning launch meetings to help you get organized, prioritize what’s important to you, identify immediate action items and key areas of focus, decide on an appropriate investment strategy, and set the agenda for our planning for the rest of the first year together
- Summaries that capture our conversations from these initial meetings, with a bullet point action list so you know exactly what to do and when to do it to make progress and grow wealth
- 3 annual meetings to maintain and adjust your plan as life continues to evolve, and to help hold you accountable to staying on track
- Access to your advisor between meetings as important and/or urgent questions arise
- A powerful system and process that ensures you remain proactive and capable of making consistent progress toward your biggest financial goals and priorities.
- Monthly emails highlighting new ideas and changes that you need to be aware of
- Powerful tools that can carefully analyze the complexities in your financial situation to help you make better decisions
- Financial planning software that can run scenarios and visual, graphic projections to help you decide which actions to take now and how they will impact your future
- A specialized online portal that aggregates your accounts in real time, providing ongoing updates to your cash flow and balance sheet
You're busy, your life is hectic, and there is a lot going on week to week and month to month. That's exactly why periodic meetings with your financial planner throughout the year make a difference. There's no way to capture everything that happened in your life in the last 12 months to present it to an advisor at your annual meeting -- let alone have the advisor truly understand your thoughts about it.
Financial planning should be proactive, but a single annual meeting leaves you no choice but to constantly react to what already happened over the last year.
Think about your business or career goals. How do you think you’d perform if you set your benchmarks for the year on January 1, but didn’t revisit them, or your progress toward them, until December 31?
The BYH process is designed to engage you and put you in action. This isn’t about writing down lots of complicated plans and ideas on paper, handing it to you, and saying “see you next year.” Together, we’ll identify what’s important to you. Then, BYH creates your action plan and provides the tools you need to successfully make progress toward the life you want.
Let's work together
If you want to make the best decisions with your money, consider working with a fee-only financial planner at a wealth management firm who serves as your fiduciary 100% of the time -- and not only understands, but also respects, what's important to you.
Beyond Your Hammock
Fee-only financial planning in Boston that serves as a fiduciary to deliver objective financial advice and wealth management to motivated professionals in their 30s and 40s
Click here to schedule a free, 30-minute introductory call to determine if moving forward together is the right choice for you. Or, feel free to use the contact form to get in touch.