Financially Sound Program
A true financial plan is not a one-time deliverable. It's not a giant stack of documents and spreadsheets to go through. Financial planning is an ongoing process that helps you make well-informed, mindful decisions throughout life.
This comprehensive financial planning program gives you a process and a framework to use to make smarter money decisions -- decisions that allow you to create, grow, and keep more wealth. The people who tend to get the most from the program are motivated professionals with a total household income of $250,000+ who want a custom-designed strategy that organizes their finances, prioritizes their goals, and provides an action plan to create and grow wealth.
This ongoing program includes:
- Initial development of a financial strategy (over the course of 3 meetings with your financial planner)
- Plan implementation support and adjustments through the first year (via an additional 3 meetings)
- Periodic meetings with your planner (2-3) each year thereafter to monitor, adjust, and adapt your strategy as life evolves
- Ongoing coaching, guidance, and accountability to ensure you continue to make progress and build wealth
- Access to your financial planner between meetings as urgent or important questions arise
Have questions about getting started or how it works?
Comprehensive financial planning services can cover a number of topics, including financial questions, concerns, challenges, and opportunities. Here is just a sampling of what we can discuss and tackle together as we put you in a position to use money as a tool to live the life you want:
Spending and Saving
- Does your income support your lifestyle?
- Are you spending intelligently?
- How much can you safely spend, and without guilt?
- What percentage of your income should you save?
- What should you do with your savings?
- How much do you need for emergencies?
- What do you value, or want more of in your life?
- What's worth saving for?
- What are your 12 month, 5, 10+ year goals?
- Are you on track to achieve them?
- Who holds you accountable for these goals?
- Are you optimizing your benefits at work?
- Should you use a health savings account?
- Could you save (or keep) more money by utilizing your benefits differently?
- Are you making the most of your ESPP or other compensation outside your salary?
- What does retirement mean to you?
- How much money do you need to retire?
- What will your lifestyle be like (and how much will it cost)?
- When would you like to quit working?
- Do you want to make work optional (rather than fully retiring)?
- Are you following a strategic investment plan?
- Are you paying too much for your current portfolio?
- Are your investments performing adequately?
- Is your strategy aligned with your goals?
- Are you taking on too much risk? Not enough?
- Do you enjoy your job? Why or why not?
- Are there ways for you to adjust or change it?
- How can you prepare for a career change?
- Can you swing a leap to self-employment?
- How do you prioritize which debt to pay down first?
- Should you be paying more or saving and investing?
- Do you need life and/or disability insurance?
- If you do, what kind of policy is right for you?
- How do you know where to go to buy a policy?
- Does an umbrella policy make sense for you?
- Should you buy or continue to rent?
- How do you determine your down payment?
- When should you refinance your mortgage?
- Should you explore real estate investing?
- How much should you be saving for college?
- Are there other ways to fund a college education (beyond what you save yourself?)
- Is a 529 plan right for your situation?
- Do you need a trust in addition to a will?
- Are you fully protected should something happen?
- What documents do you need in place now?
- Are you taking advantage of all tax savings opportunities?
- Does tax deferral make sense for you?
You might still have questions about what exactly to expect from a relationship with a financial planner. We've got you covered with a detailed look at the organized process we use to help you move from, "I wonder if I'm doing everything right with my money?" to "I'm doing exactly what I need with my money to create the life I want." Check out the framework for the financial planning process here.
You're busy. You have a number of full-time jobs already (employee or entrepreneur, partner, parent, friend, teammate, household manager... the list goes on and on). And you probably don't want to add another full-time responsibility onto the pile.
The investment management program was designed for those who know where their time is best spent -- and researching, managing, and stressing over their investments and the health of their portfolios is not it. Making the right investments is critical to building wealth. But trying to DIY can leave you second-guessing every decision, missing opportunities, and making mistakes you didn't even know you were making.
Successful investing requires objectivity, and it's almost impossible to remain objective when you're dealing with your own money. With endless choices and decisions to make, it's easy to stray from rational strategies and start buying, selling, and rebalancing based off emotion (if you remember to do these things at all).
As an added bonus, clients of Beyond Your Hammock receive access to Dimensional Fund Advisor portfolios -- investments only available through qualified and approved financial advisors.
DFA funds are only available through qualified and approved financial advisors, and they're designed to be cost-effective solutions that help investors pursue higher expected returns across the market through broad diversification. The funds combine DFA’s innovative methodology with a research-based investment approach and years of expertise in applying financial science to real-world investment solutions.
Don't lose your potential to create, grow, and keep wealth by making the same mistakes the average investor makes. Go beyond DIY and get a professional investment strategy that runs off academic research and empirical evidence. When we work together to better manage your investments, you can enjoy:
Professional Investment Management
- Investment portfolio design tied to your risk tolerance and goals
- Portfolio monitoring and periodic rebalancing
- Globally diversified, tax efficient portfolios using low cost institutional investments (when available)
- Ongoing investment education tailored to your knowledge and level of experience
24-Hour Client Access
- Online account access to your investments whenever you need it
- Periodic consolidated statements showing all accounts in one place
- Up-to-date performance reporting
Superior Customer Service
- Direct access to an investment manager who knows your goals
- No more wasting time on hold with a busy call center
But what's the value of working together to manage your investments? You're smart, motivated, and successful at what you do. Can't you just do this yourself? You can. But that leaves you vulnerable to a number of issues most average investors simply can't overcome: emotional decision-making. Cognitive biases. Failing to understand the role of randomness. The things you don't know, and the things you don't know you don't know.
Your financial advisor stands between you and making a big, costly mistake with your investments. Your advisor checks your blind spots and keeps you on a strategic path to long-term success (even when it's tempting to deviate to chase a potential short-term win).
This program is offered in tandem with the Financially Sound Program. There is no investment minimum. Clients investing $500,000 or more with Beyond Your Hammock will receive a discount on their Financially Sound Program fee. Together we can design a strategy that best suits your needs.
And because you're working with a fee-only financial planner who works as a fiduciary 100% of the time, you can enjoy added peace of mind to know that we follow a legal and ethical standard that puts your best interests first, no matter what.
QuickStart Financial Plan
This program is designed for professionals who are not ready for the Financially Sound Program, but still want financial support right now. We focus on 2-3 financial topics from this list to help you understand which actions to take next.
The QuickStart Program (which can range from one to three meetings) offers conversations than range from 90 minutes to 2 hours, providing you with an opportunity to get answers to your most pressing questions and obtain a deeper understanding of your current finances. We take a deep dive into the specifics of your situation, evaluate the various options you have and paths you could take, and run projections so we can see the impact of your decisions over the long-term.
You’ll walk away with clarity on action steps to take next so you can confidently make further progress on your own. Here’s what else you receive with the QuickStart Program:
- Initial help organizing your relevant financial information
- Analyses and preliminary projections prepared before your scheduled meeting by your advisor and the BYH team (this means your meeting time is completely devoted to your planning needs, since we do this work beforehand)
- For one-meeting QuickStart programs, a 2-hour conversation (phone, video or in person) to answer questions and create an action plan for you to use immediately
- For two to three-meeting QuickStart programs, you'll receive multiple 90-minute meetings to dig deeply into specific areas of your finances and create an action plan to use immediately
- 2 weeks of email access after our meeting(s) to answer any clarifying questions about the action plan