At BYH, we help people use money as a tool to enjoy life today while planning responsibly for tomorrow.
My name is Eric Roberge, and I'm a CFP® and founder of Beyond Your Hammock. We help high-achieving professionals in their 30s and 40s by providing fee-only, fiduciary advice, investment management, and financial planning in Boston. While we’re based in Massachusetts, we also meet and work with clients virtually across the United States.
My goal, and what drives us at BYH, is to help our clients realize their aspirations for a successful life and career, while loving every minute of the ride along the way. Money shouldn’t drive the decisions you make about life. The life you want to create should drive the choices around your finances.
In over 20 years in the financial industry, I’ve seen many stock market highs. I’ve learned how to navigate the lows. I worked through four major economic and market disruptions between 2000 and 2020, as well as the longest bull market in history. But true wealth management is about more than just numbers and industry experience.
Any decent financial expert can tell you how to make better financial choices or invest strategically to grow wealth. Very few people can show you how to leverage your financial resources as tools for accomplishing what you actually want to do throughout life.
Understanding how to choose between equally good options is difficult. So is evaluating potential outcomes and thinking rationally through cost-benefit analyses. Accurately and objectively assessing risk, precisely weighting opportunity costs and the probability for success not just in a year but in 40 years from now — yes, you guessed it, very difficult to do.
The numbers might be objective, but your life isn’t. Your life isn’t linear and things change. You change. Your life, your experiences, your values, and your goals (and how those may shift over time) are entirely up to you. Your financial planning experience should reflect that.
Our purpose at BYH is to support our clients in making optimal financial decisions with their cash flow and investment portfolios. Seeing the people I serve enjoy greater confidence, success, and peace of mind is what keeps me and our team going with our mission: to design systems that allow fellow high-achieving professionals to get more from their money and enjoy what they love… right now, and well into the future.
Awards and Recognition
Meet Our Team
Eric Roberge, CFP®
CEO & Lead Financial Planner
Eric has two decades of experience in the financial industry and spent years studying communication, development, and leadership. His proven financial planning systems allow his clients to achieve goals and provide the confidence needed to chase even bigger dreams. In addition to serving as lead financial planner at BYH, he hosts the Beyond Finances podcast, speaks at events around the country to educate on financial planning, and loves spending as much time as possible outdoors and on the water.
COO & Creative Director
A historian and writer by training, Kali is driven to get things done. She feels best when supporting others and helping them stay organized, motivated, and inspired. At BYH, she serves as editor of the blog and all online content, co-hosts the Beyond Finances podcast, and runs social channels. She also assists clients and maintains open lines of communication between clients and the advisory team. When not at her desk, you'll likely find her planning her next trip, hiking, or snuggling down with her two cats and a good book.
Mario Nardone, CFA®
Mario spent over 10 years consulting institutions and financial advisors on investment policy, portfolio construction, and ETFs at Vanguard before serving as Chief Investment Officer for an Charleston-based RIA and then founding East Bay Financial Services, a collaborative partner of BYH. Mario is active in recreational sports and the Charleston community, is an avid traveler, and enjoys spending time with his wife Piper, their daughter Pepper, dog Cady, and Agnes the cat.
Want to learn more?
BYH provides wealth management for motivated professionals in their 30s and 40s. We interviewed our founder, Eric Roberge, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional and fiduciary advisor, so you can learn more about the ideas and philosophies that help guide our team:
What's your investment philosophy?
We believe in focusing in what you can control. What matters when it comes to investing your money for the long-term to build the kind of wealth that will create possibilities in your life is not a certain return, or a specific investment. What matters includes reducing expenses, diversifying portfolios, minimizing taxes, and staying disciplined.
We don't chase performance or returns, try to time the market, or stock-pick in the hopes of getting lucky with a home run. Instead, we rely on proven, rules-based systems and strategies.
Beyond Your Hammock partners with TD Ameritrade to provide investment solutions for clients, and designs our own portfolios designed to provide appropriate risk-adjusted returns over time. We also have access to Dimensional Fund Advisors (DFA) funds, which are only available through qualified and approved financial advisors.
For more on our philosophy and approach to delivering a better investment experience for clients, click here to download our guide.
What kind of financial advisor are you?
- Fiduciary: We work in your best interest, 100% of the time, period. Your needs come first first, ahead of anything else (including my needs, the needs of the BYH team, and the needs of our firm). I take that so seriously I sign a fiduciary oath for every single client I work with, and Beyond Your Hammock has an ethical and legal obligation to do what's best for you.
- Fee-only: BYH is free from financial conflicts of interest. We don't sell products or receive commissions or kickbacks from third parties. You can trust that you receive objective, independent advice when you receive financial planning or investment management services.
- CFP®: The CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ marks show I've completed rigorous training and education requirements, uphold a strict ethical obligation to my clients, and continue to educate myself on the best financial planning and advice practices to build on two decades of experience in the industry.
What kind of financial literacy volunteer work do you do?
- City of Cambridge Housing Department: Provided rental assistance budgeting support
- Innercity Weightlifting: Offered financial literacy classes
- Joseph E. Lee Middle School: Taught students about entrepreneurship through Lemonade Day
- Pine Street Inn: Offered money management training to formerly incarcerated men and women
- Mothers for Justice and Equality: Taught students about finances and career choices
Where else have you been featured?
- Contributing writer for Kiplinger, Business Insider, Forbes, and MONEY
- Guest lecturer at Harvard University: Setting Seniors Up for Financial Success After College
- Guest lecturer at Babson College, Boston University, Simmons College, UMass Boston, and Bentley
For more, check out the latest press features here.
What professional associations have you been part of?
- XY Planning Network (XYPN) Founding Member & Current Member
- National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) Current Member
- Financial Planning Association (FPA) Board of Directors (2012 - 2019)
- Babson College Alumni Association Board of Directors (2012 - 2016)
- St. John’s Prep Alumni Association Board of Directors (2008 - 2014)