At BYH, we help people use money as a tool to enjoy life today while planning responsibly for tomorrow.
My name is Eric Roberge. I'm a CFP® and the founder of Beyond Your Hammock. We help motivated, high-achieving professionals in their 30s and 40s by providing fee-only, fiduciary advice, investment management, and financial planning in Boston. While we’re based in Massachusetts, we also meet and work with clients virtually across the United States.
My goal is to help my clients realize their aspirations for an incredibly successful life and career, while loving every minute of the ride along the way. I believe that money shouldn’t drive the decisions you make about life. The life you want to create should drive the choices around your finances.
In over 20 years in the financial industry, I’ve seen many stock market highs. I’ve learned how to navigate the lows. I worked through three major economic and market disruptions between 2000 and 2020, and the longest bull market in history.
I know the power of consistency and commitment, because I’ve seen this process in action, unfolding over time, with both my clients and in my own life. When you combine those two critical elements with a sophisticated strategy that takes opportunities, risks, and probabilities into consideration, you begin to build significant wealth.
And as much as I have my own beliefs, exploring other viewpoints energizes me. Expanding my understanding of not just finance but also leadership, communication, and relationships, keep me sharp and well-rounded as a financial advisor, because true wealth management is about more than just numbers.
Any decent financial expert can tell you how to make better financial choices or invest strategically to grow wealth. Very few people can show you how to leverage your financial resources as tools for accomplishing what you actually want to do throughout life.
Understanding how to choose between equally good options is incredibly difficult. So is evaluating potential outcomes and thinking rationally through cost-benefit analyses. Accurately and objectively assessing risk, precisely weighting opportunity costs and the probability for success not just in a year but in 40 years from now — yes, you guessed it, very difficult to do.
The numbers might be objective, but your life isn’t. Your life isn’t linear and things change. You change. Your life, your experiences, your values, and your goals (and how those may shift over time) are entirely up to you. Your financial planning experience should reflect that.
I spend my days helping my clients make optimal financial decisions with their cash flow and investment portfolios. Seeing the people I serve enjoy greater confidence, success, and peace of mind is what keeps me going on my mission: to design systems that allow fellow high-achieving professionals to get more from their money and enjoy what they love… right now, and well into the future.
Awards and Recognition
Best Financial Advisors in Boston
Expertise's goal is to connect people with the best local experts. They score financial advisors in Boston on more than 25 variables across five categories, then analyzed the results to create a hand-picked list of the best financial advisors in Boston, MA.
Top 10 CFPs Under 36
Wealth Management names 10 talented, independent CFPs as ones to watch in the industry for innovation and potential. These are up-and-coming advisors who built solid practices from a young age and continue to grow by catering to the next generation of clients.
Top 100 Most Influential Financial Advisors
2017, 2019. Investopedia recognizes financial advisors who spread the message of financial planning and retirement readiness—those with the greatest reach and impact across social media and content channels including TV, radio, blogs, and books.
40 Under 40, Class of 2016
InvestmentNews’ 40 Under 40 reveals the tremendous potential in our industry by finding young talent doing remarkable things. Key attributes among the recognized 40 professionals of the 1,200+ nominations received are accomplishments, contributions, leadership, and promise.
Top 10 Young Advisors to Watch
Financial Advisor Magazine identifies individuals who embody the best quality young talent in the financial planning industry. These advisors work to bring innovation to the table and also dedicate themselves to advancing the industry for the benefit of the clients they serve.
Meet Our Team
Eric Roberge, CFP®
Founder and Lead Advisor
With two decades of experience in the financial industry and many years additionally spent studying communication, development, and leadership, Eric is passionate about educating and empowering others. Through his planning work with thousands of professionals, couples, and families, he's developed proven systems that allow his clients to achieve goals and provide the confidence needed to chase even bigger dreams.
Chief Operations Officer
A historian and writer by training, Kali is driven to get things done. She deeply values productivity and efficiency, and feels best when she's working hard to keep others organized, motivated, and inspired to achieve big things. When not at her desk at BYH, she's often working on her own creative projects: Kali has a passion for design, a talent for choosing just the right words, and an interest in finding new inspired dishes to cook up for friends and family.
Want to learn more?
BYH provides wealth management for motivated professionals in their 30s and 40s. Here's more about the ideas and philosophies that help guide our team, as well as more about our founder, Eric Roberge, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ & fiduciary advisor:
What's your investment philosophy?
First and foremost, I believe in focusing in what you can control and what matters when it comes to investing your money for the long-term to build the kind of wealth that will create possibilities in your life. "What matters" is not a certain return, or a specific investment. What matters includes:
- Reducing expenses
- Diversifying portfolios
- Minimizing taxes
- Staying disciplined
Beyond Your Hammock uses investment portfolios constructed with Dimensional Fund Advisors (DFA) funds. DFA funds are only available through qualified and approved financial advisors. They're designed to be cost-effective solutions that help investors pursue higher expected returns across the stock market through broadly diversified allocations.
The funds combine Dimensional’s innovative methodology with a research-based investment approach and years of expertise in applying financial science to real-world investment solutions. Click here to download BYH's 2-page guide to enjoying a better investment experience.
What kind of financial advisor are you?
- Fiduciary, which means at BYH your needs come first first, ahead of anything else (including my needs, the needs of my team, and the needs of my business -- and I take that so seriously I sign a fiduciary oath for every single client I work with). Beyond Your Hammock has an ethical and legal obligation to do what's best for you.
- Fee-only, which means BYH is free from financial conflicts of interest. We don't sell products or receive commissions or kickbacks from third parties. You can trust that you receive objective, independent advice when you receive financial planning or investment management services.
- CFP®, which stands for CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™. This indicates I've completed rigorous training and education requirements, uphold a strict ethical obligation to my clients, and continue to educate myself on the best financial planning and advice practices to build on over a decade of experience in the industry. You can view a copy of my official certificate here.
What kind of financial literacy volunteer work do you do?
- City of Cambridge Housing Department: Rental Assistance Budgeting Support
- Innercity Weightlifting: Offered financial literacy classes
- Joseph E. Lee Middle School: Taught students about entrepreneurship through Lemonade Day
- Pine Street Inn: Offered money management training to formerly incarcerated men and women
- Mothers for Justice and Equality: Taught students about finances and career choices
Where else have you been featured?
- Contributing writer for Kiplinger, Business Insider, Forbes, and MONEY
- Guest lecturer at Harvard University: Setting Seniors Up for Financial Success After College
- Guest lecturer at Babson College, Boston University, Simmons College, UMass Boston, and Bentley
For more, check out the latest press features here.
What professional associations are you part of?
- XY Planning Network (XYPN) - Founding Member
- National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) - Member
- Financial Planning Association (FPA) - Member and Board of Directors (2012 - 2019)
- Babson College Alumni Association Board of Directors (2012 - 2016)
- St. John’s Prep Alumni Association Board of Directors (2008 - 2014)
What do you like to do outside of your business?
- When I'm not helping my clients transform their lives, I also educate students about the value of money and speak to other financial planners at conferences across the country to transform the way financial advice is delivered in our society.
- Outside of work, I love spending time exploring outdoors, learning how to play guitar, and continuing my quest for the perfect cup of pour-over coffee.
- I also love staying active: golfing, skiing, wake boarding, playing hockey and soccer, camping, boating... if there's an opportunity for activity or adventure, I'm in!
- I enjoy traveling and seeing new places, and I value spending time with my friends and family above all else